Jim Spence is the Founder and Executive Director of Sports Quest. Jim moved to Houston from the UK in 1992 to pursue soccer ministry. Jim is a highly qualified soccer coach with the following credentials:
• STYSA State Instructor
• South Texas ODP ’89 & 92 Girls Coach
• Former St. Agnes Academy Girls Varsity Head Coach (2007-2011)
• Soccer Development Officer, England
• School of Excellence Soccer Trainer, England
• United States Soccer Federation (USSF) “A” License
• National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Premier License
• National Youth Coaching License
• English Football Association (FA) Coaching License
• National Goalkeeping Level 1 and level 2 Diplomas
• BA Honors Degree in Sports and Recreation
• Former Player in Houston Premier League
• Former competitive club coach (1992-2016
• Technique Training Program / Under 10 Development Program
Debbie Spence is a Co-Founder and Operations Manager and is responsible for day-to-day administrative, communications and financial operations for Sports Quest. Debbie is also responsible for:
• Online registration
• Website management
• Marketing and promotions
• Human Resources
A former Sports Quest summer camp staff member and Houston native, Josh returns to Houston from Sporting KC, where he finished his MLS playing career and served as a coach in their Development Academy. Josh began his MLS career as a second-round pick in the 2004 MLS SuperDraft with the LA Galaxy until joining the Seattle Sounders in 2007 and Carolina Railhawks in 2009. He returned to MLS in 2011 with the Columbus Crew before being selected by the Montreal Impact in the 2011 MLS Expansion Draft. Josh graduated from the University of Cincinnati with a degree in Graphic Design and holds the USSF “A” license, as well as an Elite Formation Coaching license (French Football Federation) and Futsal Level 1 coaching qualification.
A 1991 graduate of Liberty University, John joined Sports Quest in 2016 after serving as a missionary Guatemala for 8 years. While there, John served as Executive Director and President of Global Soccer Ministries. Previously, John was a Program Director for a YMCA in Michigan while working with his wife Amy and the youth at the Inner City Planting Fellowship Ministry in Grand Rapids. Currently, John serves as Children’s Pastor at the Brook Church in Tomball.
Conner Haney is an alumnus of the HCYA Hurricanes soccer program, captaining the 2013-14 Hurricanes team to a TCAL State Championship. He went on to play collegiate soccer at John Brown University; earning SAC First Team All-Conference honors his Sophomore and Senior seasons. Conner graduated with a B.S in Business Administration and Management. He continued his soccer career playing PDL with the Tri-City Otters and with the AHFC Royals before playing professionally for Nybro IF in Sweden.